Wood stove fire destroys Fulton home


About 7:09pm on Tuesday, December 6, the Schoharie County 911 center took a call reporting a structure fire on Mallon Road in the West Fulton Fire District.
The West Fulton Fire Department was dispatched along with the Middleburgh Fire Department for mutual aid, said Schoharie County Fire Coordinator Matt Brisley.
West Fulton Fire Chief Jason Hardendorf led firefighting operations at the home of James Roston of 432 Mallon Road.
Mr. Roston had to walk to a neighbor's residence more than a mile away to summon the fire department as the keys to his vehicles were inside his burning home, Mr. Brisley said.
Chief Hardendorf said the fire appears to have started as a result of a malfunctioning wood burning stove. The residence was a total loss, and was nearly on the ground when the firefighters arrived.
The responding fire trucks were hampered by extremely heavy fog that evening, officials said.
Tankers were also called in from Summit and Blenheim, Huntersland stood in at the Middleburgh station, and Schoharie was on standby.
Chief Hardendorf said Mr. Roston was treated at the scene by the Scho-Wright Ambulance Service, for possible smoke inhalation and was being assisted by the Schoharie County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Approximately 25 firefighters responded.