State Police and Cobleskill-Richmondville officials are releasing few details about an alleged text death threat at the high school last week.
Officials expect more to come to light about the incident as troopers continue their investigation.
C-R Superintendent Carl Mummenthey said the suspect, who's a male student at the high school, was taken "into some form of custody" on Thursday.
A third party, neither an intended victim nor the perpetrator, brought the text message to High School Principal Melissa Ausfeld between 4 and 5pm on Thursday, Mr. Mummenthey said.
She "viewed the text and immediately recognized" that it was dangerous and called State Police, Mr. Mummenthey said.
The text threatened one or more teachers and/or students.
State Police took the suspect into custody later Thursday. Troopers confirmed the action but didn't say whether the boy was arrested.
School administrators and police also contacted the intended victims.
Troopers were on the high school campus when school opened Friday morning and remained there all day.
"We felt that for the safety of the students, the police presence was necessary," Mr. Mummenthey said.
The State Police investigation is continuing, he added. Meanwhile, C-R has suspended the student.
School board President Bruce Tryon praised the high school's response.
"Mel and [Assistant Principal] Mike Robbins followed exactly the right procedure," Mr. Tryon said. "The safety systems we have in place worked."
And, Mr. Tryon added, school officials can't be nonchalant about text-message threats even though those threats can be easily done.