Saturday celebration to mark role of Schoharie Recovery


By Jim Poole

Schoharie Recovery's major impact on post-Irene revival will be the focus of a celebration this Saturday.
Supporters will gather on the DAR lawn in Schoharie to honor the accomplishments of the organization that merged with Schoharie Area Long Term early this month.
Saturday's date, August 24, is also close to the day that Irene struck two years ago, August 28, 2011.
"This is a way, on the two-year anniversary, to recognize the accomplishments of all Schoharie Recovery did by itself and in partnership with SALT," said Jerrine Corallo, SALT spokesperson.
Saturday's events will start with a local artisans' and producers' market of jewelry, soaps, woolen products, beef and more.
Bethany and Rufus will perform at 1pm, and the recognition ceremony will begin at 2pm.
Among those to be honored will be Josh DeBartolo, who led Schoharie Recovery for nearly two years, and other long-time volunteers who helped with the effort.
Schoharie Recovery formed almost immediately after Irene. Targeting the area of the Schoharie School District, the organization helped scores of families rebuild their houses and return home.
To streamline rebuilding efforts, Schoharie Recovery merged with SALT, which spearheads rebuilding in the entire Schoharie Valley.
Also on Saturday, organizers will discuss flood needs still to be met. Schoharie Recovery and SALT surveyed 1,000 properties; of these, 80 percent that were damaged but still standing are now occupied. Addressing the remaining 20 percent will be a topic Saturday.
The Apple Barrel Country Store Café and BBQ Delights Catering will provide lunch to purchase on Saturday.